Fort Collins: You are invited to Escape to New Realms with a concert exploring fantastic lands and heroic acts of bravery and endurance. Maestro Wes Kenney and the Fort Collins Symphony (FCS) present their second Signature Concert at 7:30 PM on Saturday, November 5, 2022 at the Fort Collins Lincoln Center.
Concert information: https://fcsymphony.org/events/escape-to-new-realms-signature-concert-2/
Purchase Tickets: https://www.lctix.com/signature-2-escape-to-new-realms
The concert features composer Stacy Garrop’s powerful Battle for the Ballot which commemorates the passage of the 19th Amendment granting women the right to vote. Written in 2020 for the 100th anniversary of the amendment, the piece features the words of seven suffragists woven into a single narrative. Accompanied by historic photographs, Boulder-based scholar and choreographer Donna Mejia will give voice to these women who fought for the right to vote. Dr. Garrop joins the FCS for this concert and pre-concert events.
The evening’s performance also includes:
– Igor Stravinsky’s ethereal Firebird Suite, based on a Russian fairy tale, tells the story of Prince Ivan conquering the evil Kaschei with the help of the Firebird. The instant success of the ballet thrust the young Stravinsky onto the world stage. This timeless suite remains one of history’s most beloved pieces.
– Sergei Rachmaninoff’s hauntingly beautiful 1907 tone poem, Isle of the Dead, was inspired by a painting by Swiss Symbolist artist Arnold Böcklin; and
– Samuel Barber’s spirited 1931Overture to The School for Scandal reflects the comedic play after which it is named.
Don’t miss this evening designed to transport you to new realms through the magic of music as performed by the award-winning Fort Collins Symphony. Tickets range from $25 to $67. Student tickets are $10. In honor of Veteran’s Day, veterans receive a 20% discount by using code NewRealms20. For more information, visit FCSymphony.org and for tickets, LCTix.com
*For any who are unable to attend the live performance, the FCS offers a live-stream concert option. See details at LCTix.com.
For educational information about the concert, please:
- Visit www.FCSymphony.org for concert program notes by Dr. Dawn Grapes and Dr. William E. Runyan. Free.
- Tune into Maestro Kenney’s World of Symphonic Music at 7 p.m. on Sundays at KRFC 88.9 FM Radio Fort Collins 88.9 FM. Free.
- Attend Dr. Dawn Grapes’ Composer Talk with guest appearance by Stacy Garrop in person at Old Town Library at noon on Wednesday, November 2, 2022. Free.
- Join the FCS at Open Rehearsal in-person at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 3, 20022 at the Lincoln Center. Free.
- Listen to Maestro’s Musings with guest appearance by Stacy Garrop in-person or live stream at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 5, 2022at the Lincoln Center. With purchase of concert ticket.
Signature Concert 2 Sponsors: Bistro Nautile, Paul Wood Florist, Dr. Kenneth & Paisley Pettine, Warner Family Charitable Fund – Edward M. Warner & Jacalyn D. Erickson
Living Composers Sponsors: Bob and Diane Graziano. The Fort Collins Symphony’s 2022-2023 Season Sponsors: City of Fort Collins Fort Fund, Colorado Creative Industries, Dr. David and Alison Dennis, Ken Garff Ford Fort Collins, Lyric Theater, National Endowment for the Arts. Dr. Ed Siegel, and Dr. Peter Springberg and Janet Kowall. Media Sponsors: KRFC 88.9 FM Radio Fort Collins and KUNC 91.5 FM Radio NPR.